Save time and money with our reliable reviews to help you find the best outdoor umbrella for your summer living.
The best outdoor umbrellas quickly and easily create shade in your backyard so you can get out and enjoy relaxing and entertaining all summer long. An offset or cantilever patio umbrella can be easily positioned and angled to provide the best shade from the sun over an outdoor table, lounge setting or any outdoor space. And when you are enjoying a cool drink and watching the kids in the pool, a pool umbrella provides the necessary shade to keep you cool. Positioning an umbrella by the edge of the pool is a great way to provide shade allowing for more time in the pool whilst reducing the risk of sunburn. And an umbrella with solar lights lets you go from day to night for those long summer evenings.
The best outdoor umbrellas are more cost effective than fixed shading options and give you the flexibility to position the shade where you need it most. Our reviews will help guide you through the size, shape, style and features of the best outdoor umbrellas to find one that is suitable for your backyard.
10 Top Rated Outdoor Umbrellas For 2020
Enjoy The Summer From Day To Night
Find the best solar powered outdoor umbrella for your backyard
Tips for Buying the Best Outdoor Umbrella
Purchasing an outdoor umbrella can be a confusing decision. We provide a comprehensive guide to choosing the best outdoor umbrella for your backyard, but here are a few quick things to consider before you make your purchase.
1. The Size – your outdoor umbrella should complement your outdoor area, not dominate it. How big do you reeally need it to be? Sometimes it may be better to consider purchasing two smaller umbrellas rather than one really large one. It’s also necessary to remember to allow space for your umbrella base which is necessary to secure any outdoor umbrella and space between the umbrella and fixed structures to allow for some movement in the wind.
2. Durability – Not all umbrellas are made equal. The quality of the fabric and the strength of the frame can vary significantly and it is worth doing your research before making your outdoor umbrella purchase. Most cantilever umbrellas have a similar crank and lift handle for easy opening and closing although some glide smoother than others. The tilt mechanism is also important to adjust the canopy to provide shade as the sun moves.
3. Colour and Style – There are two main styles of umbrella. Center pole umbrellas, also referred to as market umbrellas, are the more traditional style where the canopy sits on top of a center pole and closes up around the pole. These are great for a patio table with a central hole or a small outdoor seating area, perhaps a couple of pool loungers. A cantilever umbrella, or offset umbrella, has a base and pole off to the side and the canopy hangs off the pole. These umbrellas provide a more modern design and add a real resort feel to your backyard. They are ideal for shading larger outdoor tables and seating areas. The canopies come in a variety of colors, generally a lighter color will fade less and allow diffuse light through.
4. Budget – With variations in quality, size and features there is a wide range of umbrellas available to suit a wide range of budgets. When looking for the best outdoor umbrella for your backyard, remember to factor in the cost for a base or weights to secure the umbrella and an outdoor umbrella cover to protect the canopy.
5. Features – Outdoor umbrellas are not all the same and some offer unique features such as the ability to be rotated 360 degrees. This can be very helpful if you are wanting to be able to shade differnet areas in your backyard with one umbrella. Perhaps a kids sandpit or a pool lounge. Other umbrellas come with built-in rechargeable solar lights. This can create a lovely ambience in your backyard when entertaining in the evening.
When deciding which umbrella to purchase, start out with the list of features you desire and from there it should be easy to find the right umbrella to suit your budget. Our reviews and articles will help to guide you in your purchase of the best outdoor umbrella for your backyard so you can get outside and enjoy the summer, in the shade!
Recent Reviews and Articles
Choosing the right size patio umbrella is crucial. If it’s too big it will overwhelm and look out of proportion. If it’s too small it won’t provide the protection needed.
When purchasing the best patio umbrella for your outdoor space there are a number of important considerations. Outdoor patio umbrellas are available in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, styles, colours and materials. Here’s what you need to know.
Check out our tips for how to secure a patio umbrella so you can relax and enjoy your outdoor area. Ideas for centre pole and cantilever umbrellas.